Thursday, January 30, 2014

What a bunch of KNobs!! At least these ones are useful!!

Part of being in the Great White North means owning big coats, warm scarves, hats and/or toques ! As organized as some people manage to be...I'm not among the best for sure!!. Last yr I did a good purge, got some nice big baskets to put up top in the closet. Which works great ....during the warm months! But as soon as winter hits...well.....
basically a mess ensues in short order! I'm too short to deal with the basket back and forth. Scarves end up stuffed into sleeves or thrown on anything that will hold it there ..barely... So I started thinking.....I want a better way!....I have a small entry...but as I stood looking at the mess I heard a PPSSSSSSTTTT! from the small wall facing the mirrored closet ...
A blank canvas! I can have some fun! So the cranks started to turn as to how to make hats and scarves easily accessible and fun to look at. But I also wanted something that looked good during the summer months when all those things are put back in the basket in the closet. (who wants to see wool scarves and hats during hot and humid temps!
I started to accumulate bits and pieces as my idea started to germinate ...First though...I had to paint the top part of that wall the same red as my living room...that boring beige was driving me nuts anyway...
then all the other painting began...
                                                                 White then Black

and finally assembly begins...
I was so impatient. I had to wait a few days for all those layers of paint to dry!! But it was worth the wait!
Now was time to figure out where to put what ...I can't tell you how many times I changed things around! Then promised myself I was done.....no wait...this with that looks better... too much white over there...but if I add this to that I need to change over here.........you get the picture!!......

But finally, with Chris' help we got all the pieces screwed in and ready to dress up or down depending on the season! We love how it turned out if I do say so myself! Next summer I can see a straw hat thrown up there with an umbrella or two...or like now, I see some of the beautiful scarves I have to choose from. Some are precious gifts given to me or made for my be friends and family! I love that they can be seen now as much for their practical use as their special beauty!
                                                                          VOILA

 
JUST THROW IT UP HERE...
Lets do a BEFORE
 
After
 
So there you have it....My knob wall. Something practical and pretty all year round ...
What do you think?
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

kenju said...

Monette, I NEVER cease to be amazed at your creativity and ingenuity. That looks great - with or without hats and scarves.

YOU GO, GIRL!!

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

That look great, love it! I can relate to the short handicap....it was mine too so I did something similar off the back door in my kitchen.

Love the new paint color you used too, looks good!